We’ve been asked many different questions over the years. Hopefully, we’ve covered your question below. Need clarification or have a new question for us? Please call Kasten’s Dog Training at (574) 522-7050.
Yes. From the tiniest to the largest and the youngest to the oldest, our staff is trained to address the unique needs of each breed.
We offer on- and off-leash pet obedience training and teach the following commands: sit, down, come, heel, place, break, stand, off, yes, no, get it, bring it, drop it, as well as, behavioral modification. We can modify the following behaviors and more: jumping, chewing, digging, housebreaking, crate training, play biting, leash pulling, whining, excessive barking, chasing, excited/submissive urination, leg mounting, counter surfing, getting into the trash, eating poop, food/toy possessiveness, and more.
The first step toward training is a 1-hour phone evaluation with one of our professional trainers. During the evaluation your trainer will ask about your goals and the issues you are facing as well as assess your dog’s personality. Your trainer will then educate you on our training tools and programs. They will advise and collaborate with you on the program that would best meet your goals.
- Kasten’s Dog Training offers a range of training programs from basic manners to off-leash programs that provide peak canine performance, as well as behavior modification programs for dogs including: fearful, shy, timid and anxious behaviors; concerns with aggression; and both dog/human and dog/dog aggressive behavior.
- Check out our Training Programs for a detailed description. View a visual diagram of the programs and the skills and competencies they cover via this Training Program Matrix.
- Residency Training – Your dog boards at our facility and our professional trainers train your dog. Then through a series of private lessons we train you.
- Private Lessons – We teach you how to train your dog through private lessons.
- Train ‘n Go – We offer a combination of residency training and private lessons in a program called “Train & Go”. View a visual diagram of the programs and the skills and competencies they cover via this Training Program Matrix.
Yes. We frequently train dogs while owners are on vacation! In order to work with your schedule, it is best to coordinate with us at least 3 months in advance. We are often booking residency training 8 to 10 weeks out and will need to complete an evaluation prior to scheduling your dog’s training.
Evaluation and Training
At the evaluation we gather information such as:
- the goals you have for your dog,
- the issues you are facing, and
- behaviors you want to change.
During the evaluation, a professional trainer will assess your dog’s personality and discuss our training programs, tools, and methods. They will also advise you on the best program to meet your goals as well as the dog’s needs based on their personality.
We use marker training which includes verbal praise and verbal corrections, as well as leash pressure and visual commands. We do not use force, yanking, heavy leash pressure, spanking/hitting, or loud voices to train dogs. Dogs learn best in a calm, consistent, and positive environment, which is what we provide.
We use transitional leashes, gentle leaders, pinch collars, Halti harnesses, Starmark collars, martingale collars, and e-collars. All of our training tools, when used properly, require minimal pressure or stimulation to communicate with your dog. We also train you, the owner, to use the tools properly. We utilize shaker cans, water squirt bottles, and doggie don’ts to reorient a dog’s focus.
Prices vary depending on the program you choose. Our Training Program Matrix can help you make the right decision.
Any deposit provided is non-refundable. For training, the $200.00 scheduling deposit reserves your dog’s place in KDT’s schedule for training. Cancellations within 7 days of receipt of deposit will result in only a $100.00 refund. Owner acknowledges the deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable after 7 days. To schedule private lessons, you must pay for the training fee in full at the time of scheduling.
Every training program we offer includes the tools your dog needs to succeed.
- Residency training programs include your dog’s training, boarding, training tools, and your private lessons including follow-up lessons.
- Train ‘N Go includes training, boarding for 3 days, training tools and private lessons.
- Group lessons and private lessons include training tools.
- Residency programs 2 and greater include a KDT “place” mat.
Access to our Facebook Group for trained dogs as well as the ability to call and speak with a trainer regarding situations, circumstances, and behaviors that happen with your dog after training.
Yes. Each of our training programs addresses jumping, as well as many other behavioral issues dog owners face.
Yes. In gathering information during an evaluation, we learn the dog’s history (if you know it), what behaviors they display, what triggers their aggression, bite occurrence(s), if any, the situation around each bite event, including the bite level. We also assess the dog’s overall personality and temperament. Together, we work to determine which program is best suited for you and your dog. Click here to request an evaluation.
We will not turn away a dog due to aggression or bite history; however, we need full disclosure from you regarding your dog’s behaviors and triggers. This will help us better understand why your dog acts and thinks the way they do, and will help keep our staff safe during their interactions with your dog.